Pages

Thursday, July 22

quilt pieces.


Although these quilt blocks aren't that old yet, they already have a long history. I finished the purple block last night and put the lovely red one together this afternoon while visiting with my best friend. Seeing the completed blocks is exciting. I have actually started.

I suppose I should start at the beginning. For the longest time I've been wanting to make a quilt for my bed. Several years ago I finally found a pattern that wasn't too hard (this is my first quilt project) and involved a star design (which I love). My mom bought me the fabric for my 16th (or 17th?) birthday. I am now 21. (I'll let you do the math.) Needless to say, the pile of rainbow fabrics sat in a drawer untouched until last Christmas.

When Christmas break rolled around last year, I told myself that I was going to set a goal and just start my quilt. I discovered that life was not going to slow down anytime soon. In fact, it probably never will. Waiting for that "perfect time when life is quieter" moment was not a reality. So I just started.

I didn't get very far that Christmas. I also had my wisdom teeth taken out and got really sick around that time so my lonely quilt squares and fabric went back in the drawer.

Fast forward about 6 months. Quilt squares cover the table once again. Another goal set and swiftly broken. and another. But that's ok. I've decided to focus on the fact that I have started and it looks lovely. I want to enjoy the process, the gentle humming of the sewing machine, and making something beautiful.

p.s. my younger sister thinks the iron is awesome. it squirts water! what could be cooler?! she wants to iron all the tiny seam allowances as i sew. what a deal. :)

3 comments:

  1. just think: when the quilt is finished, you will treasure it all the more for the memories and processes that it holds. i love the different star colors, the result is going to be stunning!

    and, oh, i grinned at your iron volunteer. totally a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks gorgeous. good work, friend—all counts. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh! I love it!!! you are so special. xoxo

    ReplyDelete