the beginning of the new year is usually when we start to think about resolutions or things we would like to accomplish or do better in the upcoming year. i've been thinking and praying about what God would have me work on with Him. while i was thinking about this again tonight i reread a
blog post by Jim Daly on Focus on the Family's website. he included a list of 70 resolutions written by Jonathan Edwards, many of which were written when he was around the age of 19. several of them struck a cord, prompting some more prayer and seeking. as you read these, it is my prayer that God might use one or more of them to speak to you as well. happy new year, friends. xo
from volume one of The Works of Jonathan Edwards.
5. Resolved, Never to lose one moment of time, but to improve it in the most profitable way I possibly can.
23. Resolved, Frequently to take some deliberate action, which seems most unlikely to be done, for the glory of God, and trace it back to the original intention, designs, and ends of it; and if I find it not to be for God’s glory, to repute it as a breach of the fourth Resolution.
25. Resolved, To examine carefully and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and so direct all my forces against it.
27. Resolved, Never wilfully to omit any thing, except the omission be for the glory of God; and frequently to examine my omissions.
28. Resolved, To study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly, and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive, myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.
43. Resolved, Never, henceforward, till I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God’s;
46. Resolved, Never to allow the least measure of any fretting or uneasiness at my father or mother. Resolved, to suffer no effects of it, so much as in the least alteration of speech, or motion of my eye; and to be especially careful of it with respect to any of our family.
53. Resolved, To improve every opportunity, when I am in the best and happiest frame of mind, to cast and venture my soul on the Lord Jesus Christ, to trust and confide in him, and consecrate myself wholly to him; that from this I may have assurance of my safety, knowing that I confide in my Redeemer.
58. Resolved, Not only to refrain from an air of dislike, fretfulness, and anger in conversation, but to exhibit an air of love, cheerfulness, and benignity.
65. Resolved, Very much to exercise myself in this, all my life long, viz. with the greatest openness of which I am capable, to declare my ways to God, and lay open my soul to him, all my sins, temptations, difficulties, sorrows, fears, hopes, desires, and every thing, and every circumstance, according to Dr. Manton’s Sermon on the 119th Psalm,. July 26, and Aug. 10, 1723.
wonderful. thanks for sharing. XO
ReplyDeleteAwesome post, Bekah. You may not remember me, but we were in the same homeschool group. I found your blog through Annie's. God bless!
ReplyDelete~Katie Rettig
Katie, of course I remember you! I'm so glad you found my blog. I actually saw you when I dropped Anna off at the debate party on Monday, but I didn't come in with her. I've heard snippets here and there about you from Anna. :) I hope things go smoothly as you start a new semester!
ReplyDeletexo Bekah